Who We Are
BAB is a partnership of individuals and organisations working together to reduce isolation and loneliness among older people in Bristol.
This project is run by LinkAge
The LinkAge Network Community Development for Older People project is city wide and employs three Community Development Co-ordinators (CDCs).
The project works with communities to:
1. Encourage new activities from organisations or groups of older people. the CDCs identify gaps for older adults and work with existing assets to generate activity to fill those gaps. Gaps may be in a geographical area or with a community of interest or identity. For instance, LinkAge are currently working in Clifton and Speedwell.
2. Connect and network existing groups. The CDCs are bringing together interested paid workers, volunteers and active residents in local gatherings to discuss local community development. There is a gathering in the north, south and east of Bristol.
3. Support and champion asset based approaches; for instance LinkAge are working with BAB to commission asset based training in relation to the BAB at risk groups.
4. Coordinate and share intelligence, evidence of need and lessons learned across partners: for instance, LinkAge are working with BAB to run ‘share and learn’ sessions for BAB-funded community development project workers.
5. Horizon Scan for funding opportunities and coordinate collaborative bids: for instance, the LinkAge Network Fundraising Manger can run trainings for small groups about how to generate resources, including funds, sponsorship, practical assets.
To contact the project, please call 0117 353 3042 or email email@example.com.
Community Development for Older People has always been one of the core elements of the Bristol Ageing Better bid. After the programme launched, we reviewed how we would deliver the Community development projects.
When considering the projects to commission, BAB looked at good practice examples from across the world and found successful models that used networking and collaboration to extend their reach, share best practices and work more effectively within their own geographic area.
During our review of what was currently available in Bristol we found that there was a lack of coordination and collaboration on a city-wide level, due in part to time and resource.
BAB commissioned the Linkage Network to deliver a 3 year contract that covers the whole of Bristol to:
• Connect and network existing services
• Support and champion asset based approaches
• Encourage new activities from organisations or groups of older people that contribute to the principles of Asset Based Community Development
• Coordinate and share intelligence, evidence of need and lessons learned across partners
• Horizon Scan for funding opportunities and coordinate collaborative bids.
© 2019 Age UK Bristol.
A charity limited by guarantee. Registered no 2984207.
Registered Charity no. 1042548
Somerset Design - Supporting Charities in Bristol