Launch of Bristol Older People's Forum (BOPF) Housing Survey Report
This new report highlights how cuts in warden services and the lack of involvement of older people in housing policy has led to a ‘we know best attitude’ from the decision makers.
Older residents have also identified staying in their local community, close to amenities and feeling safe as the most important aspect of their home and housing.
The survey, commissioned by Bristol Ageing Better (BAB) was carried out between October 2019 and February 2020 and consulted over 250 older people, aged over fifty-five across the city.
Ian Bickerton, Chair of BOPF speaking about the significance of the survey says that; ‘Older people want to be at the heart of decision-making and influence future housing policy.’
The survey is part of BOPF’s ongoing project work, led by its Housing Action Group of older people, with wide-ranging experience and knowledge of housing issues. The report recommends that the Housing Action Group becomes an advisory body to influence housing policy and plans in Bristol.
Key findings from the report include:
- Older people feeling ignored- not being consulted about planning and design of new housing despite the growing ageing population
- Remote management practices in social and sheltered housing diminishing older people’s say in how things are run.
- Reductions in warden support services in sheltered housing having a detrimental effect on the residents and wider community
- Staying in their local community, close to amenities and feeling safe is the most important aspect for older people in Bristol (69% of those surveyed)
- Maintaining the home is a significant challenge for many older people (36% of those surveyed) – those living in social housing reported ‘waiting years for repairs to be done’.
There is a need for more creative housing options, better adaptations and future-proofing of homes, to allow people to stay in their own communities
© 2021 Age UK Bristol.
A charity limited by guarantee. Registered no 2984207.
Registered Charity no. 1042548
Somerset Design - Supporting Charities in Bristol
If you'd like to receive our updates then you can subscribe to one or all three by clicking here.